Monday, April 27, 2009

Stories


The more I study to become a docent the more I realize the importance of story. Not just the story of the artist, or the story of the painting or object, but how communication through story works. Not only does a story bring the art to life, but the story brings the storyteller to life. What might have been explained in long sentences laying fact on fact like a solid brick wall can be told on a meandering path where words and sentences act as rungs on a ladder leading you to somewhere else, high above the place where you started. Ultimately you end up in a tree fort above a forest, instead on if a house made of brick- unless of course the story is the one of the three little pigs.
So I have been writing tours in story, and telling my own stories, and because of this I have been dreaming in story.
No other people were more tied to story than the Native Americans. I am guessing that some of their magnificant tales began in dreams. Last night I dreamed a story so real, with plot and character and arc, and outcome that I woke up and vowed to commit the whole thing to memory. As I recalled the dream I searched for the deeper meaning, because no story would be worth telling if it didn't have something meaningful to share.
This is another thing about the stories of this gallery, they have more than one meaning, you can search for new meanings and find them- and realize that there are meanings you will never know for sure, and some you might only recognize ten years from now when you are older and wiser.
Pick any animal, and google that animal and the words Native American Story, and share it here, in the comment box. So I will have more stories.

No comments: