Saturday, July 4, 2009

Hank


It's time for me to start posting again. LaValle has been such a great partner to take over posting all week as I mourned our dog Hank who died Monday.
Gwynn and her animal sculptures are our inspiration this week. The way she works is liberating I'd say, on this fourth of July. She just slowly goes into her sculptures making decisions a little at a time. Living in the moment, like all good animals.
There was that one moment when I went outside to our little garden and Hank wasn't behind me. All the air caught in my throat. Outside is where we were best. How different everything looked, how silent it was.
Yesterday I painted. I didn't have a plan, I just let the paint make the decisions. Pretty soon I had a turtle and a monkey.
Gwynn Murrill is inside that little Coyote who sits outside the art museum so patiently. Kids jump all over him, hug and hang from him. The artist tells the world what she is in her creations. I am a purple monkey embracing a green turtle with an open hand, staring out at the yellow world.

No comments: