Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Family is the Incubator



This post is about families, and how they create the foundation of an artist. Saunders' Assemblage seems to have been inspired by childhood memories. There was a Kiki Smith passage about this as well, and here is something I found while researching yesterday's post:
When asked how he developed his style for writing dialogue, Mamet said, "In my family, in the days prior to television, we liked to while away the evenings by making ourselves miserable, based solely on our ability to speak the language viciously. That's probably where my ability was honed."
I spent the last four days at the Country Fair, with a fair "family". They get together once a year and create the Rising Moon Food Booth, they camp in a cluster and work and play together. They are all artists, mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters and some come along solo, like me. The kids run around freely all weekend, even the little ones. Everyone is surrounded with scenes like this one:
I took note of the kids. I hope when I have children I can bring them up to run wild and free and take in all the creativity out there, to push it back out into the world. I hope I can give my children some sort of memory they can quote when asked how they became creative, even if, like Mamet, they have to use the words miserable and viciously.

No comments: