Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

What do you call it when you have the same word or idea happen to you often and all at once? It is as if there is a message for you coming from out there. Lately there have been two seperate messages for me. I can't wait to read my horoscope to see if Rob Breszny has picked up on them too. Hopefully you don't miss your reading in the Willamette Week, it is so fascinating- really.
The first message is about The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. My grandfather reccommended this movie to me a few years before he died. It was one of our rare conversations. He was a quiet man and only tended to speak if he had some advice for someone. In this case he told me to see this movie. So I did. Over the course of the last week I have either heard the title or seen it on at least three occasions, including last night as I watched the movie Film Geek.
So here is a bit of it:

The second message is about intention, the word is everywhere I look these days. It is on the tip of tongues. I have been asked more than once what I was intending, and where I intended to go what I intended to say...it is strange, but this clarification is being asked of me.
I don't know if these things are related, but I do intend to rent Umbrellas of Cherbourg and give it another watch.
I write about it now because a few moments ago as I perused the Andy Warhol Museum website for educational programs I came across Kiki Smith's name. Not that she is part of the collection or that she was part of a traveling exhibition or that she goes there as a visitor, but that she was the one artist they mentioned in their aritst in residency program that began 14 years ago in 1995. As I read her name it dawned on me that this was one search this week that wasn't about her, and yet there she was.
I may not have connected Kiki Smith and the Andy Warhol Museum's artist program had it not been that this is Kiki Smith week. I would have passed over that bit of information that is now of interest to me. Her particpation in that endeavor says something important about her.
All things being connected I should mention that unrelated to my search, yesterday's post mentioned Warhol.

No comments: