Saturday, April 18, 2009

Objectified?


I've heard it said before, that Grenon objectifies women. That though he says he is inspired by them, he is really just obsessed. So maybe his sexual impulses are satisfied to produce these images. In the video he claims women are the more emotional sex ,and that his portraits of them are meant to show the importance of their existance. He also says he wants to save time, so he can make more and more of these....
I don't have a strong opinion. I can't tell after watching the video if he means what he is saying. Not that he lacks sincerity any more than his images lack realism. Here's a guy who accidently found his medium back in Detroit in the early 1970's when he was broke and ran out of materials and used a pile of old junk windows. This is what I like. Here's a guy who uses crayons to outline his subjects. who scratches into the glass to get some of his feelings out.
I guess I don't care why he paints women, though I wouldn't want my own portrait done.

No comments: