Monday, April 20, 2009

Moth Girl Personality


A few months ago there was a sketching class in the gallery, they were in 6th and 7th grade. One little girl with long braids stood in front of Moth Girl and drew away. After a few minutes I asked her if I could see what she had drawn. It was a girl that looked a lot like her, wearing her too-short jeans and button up white collar shirt, with glasses and two long braids. The girl in the drawing was standing in the center of the paper, the piano was all along the bottom of the sheet, the entire foreground was piano keys. There was a rainbow above her. Of course, I loved the drawing, and told her so. She lit up like a lightbulb.

My favorite alternate "Moth Girl" is by Alex Kirwan, cartoonist and art director of Johnny Bravo and My Life As A Teenage Robot. She sits in the green room, like the movie star that she is, Betty Davis style, with a lit cigarette and silky robe. In her little bug hand she holds the lighter, which she is mesmerized by.
The Moth Girl holds her own light. She gravitates to what makes her happy. For Grenon's Moth Girl that is the piano, Diane Wakoski is a moth girl, with her beautiful poetry and even more beautiful memory of her mother. My encounter with the 6th grade sketcher was my introduction to another moth girl.

No comments: