Saturday, February 28, 2009

Carrie Mae Weems -- Artist Talk at Brooklyn Museum


At last the weekend and perhaps everyone will have some quiet times, time to sit and reflect. As I sit and reflect I realize that reading and experiencing Carrie Mae Weems this week has enriched my life more than I had any thought it would. Late last night, I found that the Brooklyn Art Museum is exhibiting her work through March of this year (I'll miss that by a month, my visit being in April). As part of that exhibition, the museum hosted an artist talk which they have uploaded to the web on their site as well as through iTunes. Weems is a provocative speaker, reaching in and waking up your voice, the one that speaks to you each morning, your muse. The voice that creates your practice.

For now, I'm going to share the video. It does takes time to watch and for that effort you will be rewarded with the vision of this strong woman who can open space in your life to create your own personal vision. You'll see a continuum of her practice and watch her move as she speaks. Think of it as renting an inspirational art documentary but for free, thanks to the Brooklyn Art Museum. Carrie Mae Weems said at the beginning that she sounds as if she has been a girl who gets around. She has and she shares those experiences with eloquence.

Note that there is a small screen symbol on the information line immediately below the video. Clicking on that will take you to a full screen mode.

No comments: